Catching Fire - Suzanne  Collins REREAD ON 06/23/2011

This is the second book in The Hunger Games trilogy, and just like the first it's an emotional roller-coaster ride.

After winning the The Hunger Games together, much to the Capitol's distaste, Katniss and Peeta must deal with the aftermath of their defiance. Katniss has become the symbol of the Districts unhappiness with the Capitol, and uprisings are threatening to occur. The Capitol must crush the rebellion, and to do that they need Peeta and Katniss to play by their rules. The pair tries, but it seems that nothing they do can squash the stirrings of a revolution.

In a plot twist so horrible and heart breaking that you would never have guessed (and that I won't tell you about), they must again fight for their lives and everything and everyone they hold dear.

Catching Fire has all the qualities that made The Hunger Games such a thought provoking and wonderful book, the same elements are there, but I have to say I liked the first novel a little more. I cried reading it, but not as much as I did in the first one. The story is still powerful, brutal, engaging, and there is a little more humor in it, but not much.

My only complaint about it is that Katniss can't make up her mind about which guy she wants. This is a very popular plot device in YA books, but one that annoys the hell out of me. It's been done a lot, but that doesn't make it any less irritating. Am I the only one that thinks this way? I just like my heroines to know what and who they want. I don't even care if their choice is the one I would make, but the indecisiveness gets on my nerves. This brings me to my favorite quote in the book:

"You know you could live a thousand lifetimes and not deserve him."

Hear, hear, I say.

The book ends with an evil cliffhanger, something that makes me want to beat someone to death. What is it with authors and cruel cliffhangers? I'm looking at you, Karen Marie Moning!

All in all, the book is a must read, like the first one. I'm counting the days to the release of Mockingjay, the third and last installment in The Hunger Games series. It is scheduled to be publish in August 24th, 2010.

I give it 4.5 out 5 stars.